"Fort Loudon Dam"
|Fort Loudon was
the last dam built on the Tennessee River. Construction began in
July 1940 and was completed in June 1944. The dam was constructed in
three phases. Phase One was the lock and earthen dam on the south
side of the river. The lock was constructed on Belle Island.
Phase Two was the construction of the spillway. Phase Three was the
construction of the Powerhouse. During the construction of the lock
and earthen dam, all of the water was channeled through the main river
channel. During the construction of the spillways, the water was
channeled through the lock and remaining river channel. During the
construction of the powerhouse, the water was diverted through the
spillways and the lock.
The highway bridge over the dam was not added until 1963. We hope in the future to put together a photographic history of the bridge.
| Page 1 -
Beginning | Page
2 - Lock | Page
3 - Spillways |
| Page 4 - Powerhouse | Page 5 - Behind the Dam | Page 6 - Buildings |
| Page 7 - Miscellaneous |
More Statistical Information about the Dam
A special thank you to:
|Return to lenoircity.com|
|Return to loudoncity.com|